Sunday, February 7, 2010

How do I play false harmonics on bass?

I am trying to learn Birdland (by Weather Report) and I have read that Jaco plays false harmonics in the intro. I can play harmonics, but how do I play false harmonics?





Thanks!How do I play false harmonics on bass?
Place you left hand finger on the note you wish to have as a harmonic. Next, you will place your thumb (right hand) lightly on the string exactly halfway between your left hand finger and the bridge. Pluck the string with your right hand index or middle finger while your thumb is still pressed down lightly.





Also, try experimenting with placing your thumb at other ratios between your LH note and the bridge such as 1/3 the distance, etc.





For even more fun, try playing the false harmonics on a fretless bass and sliding your left hand up. You might have heard this if you are familiar with ';Evenflow'; by Pearl Jam.How do I play false harmonics on bass?
Study the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqashW66D鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment